Tuesday 3 August 2010

Tim Holtz Masks


Hello Everyone :)
The focus at the C4E July crop (other than cake & fizz!) was using paint and ink techniques to create backgrounds for your layouts.
I am a big fan of Tim Holtz and his products and these Masks are fabulous!
My first tip would be to read the back of the packet! lol! It gives you some great advice on how to get all the little bits out of the mask! Something I did not do in my eagerness to play lol!
The masks are sticky and clear and easy to use.


The first technique I tried was with Adirondack color was spray inks.
TIP : Cover everything with newspaper within 5m ! It got everywhere lol!
Place the mask on your CS, I used 12x12 Bazzill white. Give the ink a little shake aim at the CS and spritz. The further away you are from the CS the lighter the fall of ink and vice versa. There are lots of fabulous spray inks about which will work perfectly.  At the crop a few girls tried glimmer mists which gave a more subtle affect.

Once the CS is dry finish your layout.

This technique uses Distress ink pads and a blending tool all from the Tim Holtz family. The mask in the photo is the Flourish one and the distress ink is Milled lavender.
A happy accident happened when I did this piece! I didn't get all the Adirondack ink off so when I started to blend the distress ink over the mask I got a lovely blend of Denim blue and milled lavender!
When you use the blending tool over the mask don't use a circular motion use a twist motion. Place the blender onto the piece and gently twist the ink on this helps to stop the mask from lifting and getting ink where you don't want it.
Continue to blend the colours out across the CS until you are happy. Lift off the mask gently, with some of the masks you may need a poky tool or craft knife to lift the edge.
I loved the contrast of colours against the white CS.

Use different combinations of colours to create unique backgrounds.

For this layout I used a selection of green distress ink pads and the Timeworks masks. I lifted and moved the masks around applying more ink until I was happy with the design.

The masks are great fun to use, I spent an afternoon happily playing with them before the crop and got very inky :)
The Masks sold out at the crop so I will be ordering more in, if you are interested in buying them please let me know and I'll make sure I order enough :)


Thanks for stopping by :)
Have Fun!
Michele :)

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails